Five Reasons to Attend or Watch a City Council Meeting
The City of Duarte and the City Council encourage all members of the public to participate in City government and attend City Council meetings. Can’t attend but still really want to know what’s going on? Livestream the meeting or watch archived session on the City website at www.accessduarte.com. Just click on the “agenda/view meetings” icon at the bottom of the homepage, then click on the word “video” by the date of the meeting you want to view.
There are so many benefits to watching a City Council meeting including:
- Learning about new developments and projects in Duarte. There are new projects and developments every direction you look. Duarte is bustling!
- Hearing presentations about organizations in the community. Local organizations such as the Duarte Chamber of Commerce, the Historical Society, or our different utilities make presentations about programs they offer to enhance Duarte or issues they see that could impact citizens. City Council meetings are a hub of information from across the community.
- Sharing your opinion. If you attend the meeting in person, you can address the Council during “oral communications” section on the agenda. Even if you cannot attend, you can express your concerns by calling City Hall at (626) 357-7931 and staff will connect you to the correct person to assist.
- Knowing what’s going on in the community. Online forums sometimes have items misrepresented or falsely stated but if you are present at the meeting or watch later, you can know first-hand how a topic was discussed. It feels good to be in-the-know and not have to necessarily rely on outside filters for information.
- Getting Involved. Decide how involved you want to become by listening to what the different projects the city advisory commissions are working on and find the perfect niche for yourself – Parks and Recreation Commission, Public Safety Commission, Traffic Safety Commission and many others.
The Duarte City Council meets regularly on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 7 p.m. in the Community Center, 1600 Huntington Drive. For more information on live streaming Duarte City Council meetings, please call (626) 357-7931.